Helpful Hints at Christmas
14 December 2017
Every year, about this time, we publish information on our website aimed at helping those who may be facing family breakdown.
Sadly, around the Christmas & New Year season, our team of divorce and family law solicitors sees a surge of new enquiries. We give sensitive, focused advice. We frequently also refer clients to mediation, for example Berkshire Family Mediation http://www.berks-mediation.org.uk
Christmas is a time of year for children and it should be kept that way. Children should be put first whatever issues there may be between their parents.
Money worries at this time of year and the opportunity to drink more alcohol than usual can put even more strain on relationships.
Some helpful pointers include:
• Don’t assume all is lost. Speak to Relate before you speak to a lawyer, www.relate.org.uk.
• Focus on the children. Don’t let them see tensions between you and your (former) partner.
• Keep open channels of communication with your (former) partner.
• If you do decide to take legal advice, speak to a solicitor who is a member of Resolution and follows its Code of Practice, www.resolution.org.uk.
• Speak to your chosen solicitor on the ‘phone before arranging the meeting as personal chemistry with your lawyer matters. Ask about likely fees.
• Remember that getting confidential advice does not mean that you are giving up on the relationship.
• Don’t neglect your health. Consult a GP if necessary.